Sunday, July 24, 2011

Flash Back


Hey there! It's been awhile since I've posted, as I'm currently working on a few unfinished projects, so it's high time I updated! Since I don't have any current work to show, I've decided to post some of the work in my portfolio. These were completed in high school for my Advanced Placement art classes, and I'll try to post 3 or 4 regularly to give you an idea of what I like to do, and what happens to be on sale as well. I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think! The above piece is called London Calling, and was made as soon as I returned from the best vacation of my life. Its a collage of photos, ticket stubs, and postcards from the London trip, and I painted over it in acrylic. Its one of my absolute favorite pieces.



While we're on the subject of lamps... I find city lights very inspiring. Just the idea of a beacon in the darkness, guiding you home or elsewhere... it's very cool, plus the elusive quality of light is very fun to paint. This one was also inspired by London, and a poem of sorts that seemed to flow out of me is a definite part of the art. It's on sale for $55!



This is a playful piece inspired by several things, but after seeing the Prada collection of white leather handbags with inked pixies and fey girls drawn in a very graphic, scrolling, stylistic way, I wanted to try my hand at it too. This is what I came up with! It's india ink and chalk pastel on tissue paper embedded with bits of leaves, and supported by a sheet of matboard. This work is on sale for $115.


It's no secret that I'm in love with the human body! Anatomy is incredibly inspiring, and the human body is such an amazing machine; in fact, my junior year AP portfolio concentration was all about the human body and its interaction with nature, and how the seasons and human emotions interconnected. This particular piece I painted at the end of my senior year, and is more graphic, but with a painterly feel nonetheless. The bones are collaged with newspaper for texture, and painted over, and the body was done with acrylic india ink. I also used Sharpie and acrylic paint for the numbers and letters. What I like most about this piece is that its actually truly symbolic and has many layers of meaning, but there's no definable right answer. It could be inspired by barcodes and be a message about the materialization and objectification of mankind, or it could be inspired by the holocaust, or be the apathy we show to our fellow humans around the world who are dying in droves in different warzones. It's really up to your interpretation, depending on how you think, which is really what art is, isn't it? A way to discover how you think? Anyway, this one is on sale for $150!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment